July 5, 2009
Maple Bars or Donuts
2 cups scalded milk (cooked about 4 minutes in the microwave; before it boils)
4 tsp. salt
2 TBS. yeast
2 cups warm water
1-1/3 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
10-13 cups flour
1. Add the yeast to the warm water. Add a tablespoon of your 1-1/3 cups sugar to the yeast. Mix together and let proof for a few minutes.
2. In a large bowl using a wire whisk mix together the milk, salt, and shortening together. Add the eggs and sugar and mix well. Add the yeast mixture and beat. Add flour. Combine well.
3. Let raise 1 hour in warm place
4. Roll out dough and let rest 10 minutes.
5. Cut out in bars if making maple bars or in donut shapes. Let raise 45 to 60 minutes.
6. In 375℉ oil, deep fry both sides; glaze or frost (recipe follows) when bars have cooled slightly.
1 cup hot milk
2 TBS. white corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large bag powdered sugar
1/2 cup Butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk maybe a little more
1-1/2 TBS maple flavoring
2 TBS maple syrup
Cream butter; add powdered sugar and mix well. Add milk, flavoring and syrup. If not right consistency: add more milk if too thick; or more powdered sugar if too runny.
Spread on maple bars once they have slightly cooled.
at 6:12 PM