June 25, 2018
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 TBS flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 cup coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans), if desired
1. Mix 1/2 cup butter, salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup flour together. Pour in a greased and floured 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 325℉ for 15 minutes.
2. While crust is baking, in a small bowl whip the eggs until thick and foamy. Add 1 cup brown sugar and vanilla. Beat together.
3. Add 2 TBS flour, baking powder, coconut, and nuts if desired and mix well. Spread on baked mixture (You don't want it to be cool add pretty soon after it comes out of oven) and return to oven and bake for about 25 more minutes.
June 18, 2018
1/2 lb. bacon, cut in bite size pieces
3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
1/2 TBS seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 lb. carrots cut in 2 inch pieces
2 lbs. red potatoes or russet sliced or cut in 1 inch squares
6 oz. Sprite (or any lemon-lime soda)
14 inch Dutch Oven
- Fry bacon in dutch oven on camp chef or stove top until crisp. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon, leaving grease inside. Set bacon aside.
- Combine seasoning salt, pepper, and flour in a large gallon plastic bag. Add chicken to flour mixture and shake to coat. Add coated chicken pieces to dutch oven and and brown in bacon grease.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- In this order add onions, then potatoes, carrots, chicken and bacon to dutch oven. Pour Sprite all over the top. Cover with lid.
- Bake at 350° F for 1 hour. Carefully remove from oven. Remove lid and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- If cooking at a campsite follow directions above. When ready to cook cover with lid and place dutch oven in hot coals or use briquets on bottom and top to reach 350° F. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.) You can double this if desired just use a bigger dutch oven.
From Life in the Lofthouse
June 11, 2018
1st Layer: 2 cans refried beans
2nd Layer: guacamole Dip
3rd Layer: Mix together 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 cups sour cream, and 1 pkg. taco seasoning
4th Layer: 3 tomatoes, diced
5th Layer: 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
6th Layer: 2 cans sliced olives
7th Layer: Shredded Cheddar Cheese, to taste
Layer ingredients in order on a cookie Sheet. You can skip the guacamole dip and make a 6 layer dip if desired.
Serve with tortilla chips.