August 29, 2009
Scones and Honey Butter
4 cups warm water
2 TBS. yeast
1/3 cup oil
5 TBS. sugar
1 tsp. salt
10 cups flour
1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in water.
2. Add oil, sugar, and salt. Stir well
3. Add 5 cups of flour and mix well. Add remaining 5 cups and mix together. Use your hands to knead or a mixer. You may need to add 1/2 to 1 cup of additional flour. You want the dough to be a little sticky.
4. Let the dough rest for 10-20 minutes. After it has rested roll dough out thin (about 1/2 inch) on a floured surface.
5. Cut dough with a pizza cutter to desired size squares or rectangles. Deep fry in 350℉ oil until golden brown then flip over and deep fry other side. (About 1 minute per side) They plump up when they are frying.
6. Serve with honey butter (recipe below), jam, or your favorite topping.
The dough can be frozen. Get it out about 2 hours before you are ready to use it.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
1. Mix honey and butter together until no lumps remain.
at 5:54 PM