June 3, 2012
Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS oil
2 tsp salt
2 cups hot water
4 to 4- 1/2 cups flour (I needed more)
2 TBS instant yeast
3 cups shredded cheese (mozzarella or mix )
2 TBS milk
2 TBS finely grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp oregano
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put first four ingredients in mixing bowl of stand mixer. Stir in 2 cups flour and yeast.
3. Mix until well combined and then add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough can easily be shaped into a ball with all the flour well mixed in. No need to rise.
4. Divide in half. Roll first half out on floured surface, to approx size of cookie sheet. Roll up on to rolling pin and unroll unto cookie sheet. Stretch into shape where needed. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Roll out second half, a bit larger. Roll onto pin and unroll on top of cheese. Fold under the bottom layer, along edges. Cut through the dough with a pizza cutter to create 20 - 24 pieces. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425℉.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, Parmesan, oregano and garlic. Brush evenly over dough.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes, until breadsticks are lightly golden in color. If a large bubble pops up while baking, simply break with a knife to keep the sticks even.
9. Cut along the seams of the breadsticks and serve warm with soup, marinara sauce, etc. Can also be used for kids' sandwiches.
From Mennonite Girls Can Cook
at 5:00 AM