2-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 -3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups canned crushed pineapple (drained slightly)
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup (1 stick/8 TBS) butter, at room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (always use pure vanilla extract if possible)
1-1/2 tsp coconut extract (start with 1
teaspoon of coconut extract add more if desired)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 TBS heavy cream, heavy whipping cream or milk
1. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs
and sugar until slightly thickened and a light cream color (about 2
3. On low speed, mix in the oil and vanilla until blended.
4. Add in the pineapple and sour cream and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Add the flour mixture and blend until just combined and smooth.
6. Line a cupcake pans with paper liners and fill about 2/3 full.
7. Bake cupcakes in a pre-heated 350℉ oven for about 22 minutes.
8. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
9. Frost with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
10. Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until well combined, about 30 seconds.
vanilla extract, coconut extract and powdered sugar (1 cup at a
time) and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed
and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
12. Slowly add the heavy cream or milk
13. Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
at once or keep refrigerated. (This frosting will keep well in the
refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the
For added flavor and texture, top frosted cupcakes with toasted coconut.
(To toast coconut- lay about 1-1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 375℉ about 4-5 minutes).
Decorate cupcakes with fresh pineapple, maraschino cherries or paper umbrellas.
Recipe yields 24-28 cupcakes.
From Annette and