1 (18.25 oz) box white cake mix (I used golden vanilla or use chocolate if desired)
1/3 cup oil
4 egg whites, (or 4 eggs if not using white cake mix)
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed (I use light)
5 TBS unsalted butter, cut into a few chunks
Generous 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350℉ and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, gently combine oil, egg whites, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
3. Sift in cake mix and stir.
5. To make the icing, put the dark brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium saucepan, and melt them together over medium heat, stirring often. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the milk and vanilla. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dump in the confectioners’ sugar all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until the icing is thickened and smooth.
6. Quickly ice the cupcakes by holding each by the base and dipping the tops in the hot icing, rolling them slightly to coat evenly. Turn them quickly upright so the icing will even out while it’s still warm and will set smoothly. You have to move pretty quickly.
Cupcakes From Your Cup of Cake
Icing From Piece of Cake