from Studio 5
1 box (18.5 oz) white cake mix
1 cup half and half
6 TBS key lime juice
1 cup or 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (I used the whole can)
1 recipe whipped cream (recipe below) or use cool whip
4 TBS grated lime peel ( 3 limes), optional
1. Mix together cake mix, eggs, half and half, and 3 tablespoons key lime juice.
2. Pour 1 heaping tablespoons batter into 24 paper lined muffin cups.
3. In a separate bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk and the rest of the lime juice. (I added a little lime zest here, but it wasn't called for in original recipe) Evenly divide lime milk into batter-filled cups.
4. Top with remaining batter and fill ¾ full.
5. Bake at 350 ℉ for 15 -18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
2 c. heavy whipping cream
¼ - ½ cup powdered sugar
1. Pour cream into large mixing bowl and start mixing at low speed. Gradually increase speed until cream thickens and soft peaks form.
2. Turn off mixer and add sugar. Start slowly again. Beat until stiff peaks form.
The stiffer the cream, the easier it is to frost the cupcakes. Keep refrigerated.
Frost with whipped cream and garnish with grated lime peel (My family didn't like the lime zest on top so next time I will leave off).