November 14, 2009
Frozen Crescent Rolls
4 TBS yeast
1 TBS and 1 cup sugar
1 cup warm water
1 cup canola oil (or other)
4 cups buttermilk
12-14 cups flour
2 TBS salt
2 TBS baking powder
1/2 cup melted or softened butter
1. Sprinkle yeast and 1 TBS sugar in warm water. Mix together. Add eggs, oil, and 1 cup sugar. Add buttermilk and beat.
2. Add 6 cups flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat well.
3. Add 6-8 cups additional flour until dough is not too firm, just workable. Knead till smooth.
4. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. On a floured surface roll each piece (with a rolling pin) into a large circle and butter. Cut each circle into 16 slices (like a pizza; use a pizza cutter.) Roll each slice from large to small end. Put on 2 greased cookie sheets close together. Repeat with 3 other pieces. Freeze rolls immediately. When they are firmly frozen put the rolls in Ziploc bags or cover airtight until needed.
5. To bake rolls. Let sit covered to rise on greased cookie sheet (about 5 hours or 2 hours in a barely warm oven.) Bake at 350℉ for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Great to make ahead then get out as many as you need.
Yield 64 rolls. I have never had any luck letting the rolls rise without freezing. They need to be frozen before using.
at 11:14 AM