May 1, 2010

Blackberry Pie




4 cups blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup tapioca
1 TBS lemon juice


double crust for 9 inch pie- I used this recipe
3 TBS butter, optional
1 TBS milk
additional sugar for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat oven to 425℉. Place one crust in bottom of pie pan. Set aside.

2. Mix blackberries, sugar, flour, tapioca, and lemon juice together. Stir until flour doesn't show white anymore.

3. Pour fruit mixture in bottom crust. Top with butter cut in tablespoons. Put top crust on. Flute edges and cut some slits in top. Brush with milk and then sprinkle with sugar.

4. Bake at 425℉ for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375℉ and bake for 20-25 more minutes.

5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. I have a bunch of boysenberry bushes in my back yard and they are about ready to be harvested. I always have so many and never know what to do with them. I think I'll try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use fresh blackberries? Have you ever used other berries with this recipe? Is that instant tapioca?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,

    I used fresh blackberries. I assume you can use frozen as long as you let them thaw first or increase the baking time. I haven't used other berries, but I bet others would work. I used quick cooking Minute brand Tapioca.


    Nicholle let us know if boysenberries work.

    ReplyDelete