October 12, 2009
Country Fried Steak
1 pound cubed steak, cut into pieces
1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground sage
2 Tbs. water
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs or saltine crackers crumbs
1 square margarine
1. Put steaks between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until very thin. Cut into serving size pieces.
2. Use 3 pie pans, (foil is fine) In first pan, put flour, salt, pepper, and sage. Stir to blend.
3. In second pie pan, put eggs and water. Using fork, blend well.
4. In third pie pan, put fine crumbs.
5. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of margarine in heated frying pan. If using electric fry pan, set at 300 to 325 degrees.
6. Dip each steak in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then into crumbs.
7. Fry steak slowly, not overcrowding. They should take 7 to 10 minutes for each side and the crumb mixture should be light brown. Don't fry to quickly. Turn and cook other side, adding margarine as needed. If you have to many to fry, keep warm in a 250 degrees oven or toaster oven until finished.
at 7:33 PM