December 19, 2013
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup hot water
6 cups flour (maybe a little more)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. In a saucepan simmer molasses and shortening together for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. In a mixing bowl cream together sugar, egg, and vanilla.
3. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add to sugar mixture. Add in the molasses mixture and mix well.
4. Shift together the flour, salt, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Add to the other ingredients. Mix until well combined and the dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
5. Roll out and cut with a cookie cutter. (No flour on surface needed.) Bake for about 8-10 minutes in a preheated 375℉ oven. When cool frost and decorate as desired. Or eat plain.
*This dough doesn't stick so it is good for children to work with.
From the Child Development Center
at 3:30 AM