14 TBS butter (1-3/4 sticks)
1-3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
2-1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1-1/2 TBS vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
3 TBS butter
1/4 cup milk
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat until melted. When butter melts slowly swirl the pan and continue to cook the butter until it becomes a nice, brown-caramel color. The swirling helps it from burning. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When butter is cooled mix 1¾ cup light brown sugar and browned butter with electric mixer until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
- Add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix for another 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture and mix on medium-low until incorporated.
- Combine remaining ¼ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and then roll in sugar mixture.
- Place on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake approx 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Do not over-bake.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Mixture will slightly thicken.
- With hand mixer beat in milk until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar until spreadable consistency.
- Spread approximately 1 teaspoon frosting on each cookie.