March 28, 2013
Lemon Crinkle Cookies with Lemon Frosting
½ cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon zest (or more)
1 TBS. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
⅛ tsp. baking soda
1-½ cups flour
½ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease light colored* baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. (Or just use parchment paper or silpats.)
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients (excluding powdered sugar) slowly until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly.
3. Place powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
5. When cookies are cool, frost (frosting recipe follows) bottom of one cookie and stick the bottom of another cookie to it to make a sandwich cookies.
*If using a non-stick darker baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, very soft
3-4cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
zest from 1/2 to one large lemon
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of sugar, then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency.
From The Food Charlaton
at 4:00 AM