1/2 - 1 stick (1/4 - 1/2 cup) unsalted butter (I usually use 1/4 cup)2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. granulated sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. kosher salt (if you use salted butter leave this out)
1-3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400℉. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl (or you can use the baking dish that you'll be baking these in), melt the stick of butter in the microwave.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Pour in the buttermilk. Stir until a loose dough forms. Batter will be a bit sticky.
5. Press biscuit dough into baking dish (right on top of the melted butter).
It is easiest to spread it out with your hands. Some of the butter will run on top of the biscuits.
6. Take a sharp knife and cut the biscuit dough into 9 squares before baking.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, rotating dish once during baking. Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top and spring back to the touch. Recut the biscuits and serve.