3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs – room temp
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1-1/2 cup grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
1 cup raisins, optional
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts, optional
1. In a mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 – 4 minutes in a stand mixer). Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until well combined.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; whisk to combine. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. Do not overmix.
3. Mix in oats, carrots, raisins (if using) and walnuts. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with Silpats, parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
4. Shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with a little sugar before putting in the oven, if desired.
5. Bake until browned and crisp around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes rotating halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter, at room temp
8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 splash vanilla extract
1. Combine butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. While mixing at a low speed, add sugar. Once combine, add a splash of vanilla extract and mix on a medium to high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fully combined. Frost and enjoy!